Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Walking Meditation


“The journey of a thousand miles begins under your feet.” Lao Tzu

This sharing with you today is something that was experienced this past February, while staying at Sri Ramanasramam. It has been cooking ever since and seems to be a good reminder for us all. Enjoy this simple, yet profound, walking meditation


Walking up on the Hill today I was experiencing a “walking meditation,” one that my friend, a Buddhist Nun, shared with me.

Here is how it works …

As I walked up the Hill, with each step I was feeling the soles of my feet touching the rock… (this was done with bare feet, but I have done it with shoes on too)…giving attention to the soles of my feet as I was taking each step. Being aware as the Awareness that is aware of each step…of the birds singing in the trees…the sounds from the street…the talking of those coming up behind me. Noticing that this Awareness includes it all…accepts it all…naturally allows it all to be there just as it is. And, when the mind would wander onto a thought…bringing attention back to the soles of my feet…aware as the Awareness…etc. etc.

As I was being with this walking meditation today, I could feel each step as Now…Now…Now…Now…Now. The Presence of Now has no thought…has nothing going on.

And, as I walked down off the mountain and walked to my room, the process continued…as I got to my room…as I left my room and walked along the street…bought fruit…each step was Now…Now…Now…Now…Now. The noise and hustle bustle of the street was going on full force. But, the calm Presence was predominant.

It is just what Sri Bhagavan was saying, “why be out in the hot sun to your discomfort…stay in the shade of the tree.” This “coolness” was present no matter what was happening around me.

So, give it a try…see what I mean. It’s awesome.

This gives a whole depth of meaning to Lao Tzu’s saying. There is no destination…no goal…just what is here and now “under our feet.” That sure lightens things up tremendously.

Always feeling the Holy Hill, Arunachala, under our feet ...



... From here, "it's all a magical mystery show." Enjoying each moment of NOW, as this, and letting it all unfold in its own natural way.

No comments:

Post a Comment