Saturday, September 3, 2011

Essence Ordinaire


Here we are in Canada...

[The Ottawa River at Sunset from Gatineau, Quebec]

This past week I was here in Canada visiting Saroja and some very dear friends in Gatineau, Quebec. It brought up a few things to share with you beginning with a story from Osho …

A king went into his garden and found wilted and dying trees, shrubs and flowers. The oak said it was dying because it could not be tall like the pine. Turing to the pine, he found it drooping because it was unable to bear grapes like the vine. And the vine was dying because it could not blossom like the rose. Then he found one plant, hearts-ease, blooming and as fresh as ever. Upon inquiry, he received this reply: “I took it for granted that when you planted me you wanted hearts-ease. If you had desired an oak, a vine or a rose, you would have planted them. So I thought, since I can be nothing but what I am, I shall be that to the best of my ability.”

You are here because this existence needs you as you are! Otherwise somebody else would have been here. You are fulfilling something very essential, something very fundamental, as you are. [“Take It Easy” Vol. 2, pp. 101-103 by Osho]

So, “we can be nothing but what we are” and being that “to the best of our ability” … this fits.

While here in Quebec with Saroja, I am reminded of my first talk in the Tampa Unity Church some years ago. I had just returned from Canada after being with my father’s passing, and happened to have a tube of toothpaste that I purchased there. In Canada, everything has both French and English on it, honoring both languages present. As I was considering what was to be shared in the Sunday Talk, I happened to have the toothpaste tube facing up with the French on the label. It said, “Essence Ordinaire.” When I turned it over to see what that meant, it was “Regular Flavor.” Yes! This is what was to be shared that morning.

Have we tasted our regular flavor … sensed this ordinary essence that we are? Are we looking for something unusual to happen, in a final awakening? Well, this beautiful French language says it all. Our essence is ordinariness. Sri Bhagavan reminds us … it is our natural state.

Relaxing into this Essence Ordinaire … we are fulfilling something very essential, very fundamental, simply being as we are. From here, we are contributing what is truly significant to the Whole.

Enjoying this simple, natural and ordinary Essence that we ARE...


Thank you, Saroja, this has been a beautiful week!

Saroja and friends, Hafiz and Gulabo. (The last time I was here was ten years ago when we gave and I SIT program. It was a very significant experience for me then as now.)

Just sit there right now.

Don’t do a thing.

Just rest.

For your

Separation from God

Is the hardest work in the world.

- Hafiz



The “rest” is a “stop” and all is melting into THAT.

Giving way to this melting feeling …

Falling into this Embrace

Being fully consumed by this Love,

By this Fullness,

By that which has no boundaries.

Surrender NOW into that which has captured you …

And invite whatever arises into Your Heart.

All is included in this Embrace …

- Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Yes, and this ordinary essence is so divine, so completely enough.

    ReplyDelete