Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Home Is Where The Heart Is

[Chataqua Park in Boulder, Co., a favorite spot to view the Flat Irons ]

It has been only three months since I came to Boulder, Colorado. But, it seems like a lifetime has passed.

Recently, my Inner Guidance directed me to continue the journey that was started last December. I am to continue on in the Great and Wonderful Mystery and not settle in anywhere for right now.

What has been my experience being here in this lovely little spot in the Universe?

When we usually visit a city for the first time, as a tourist, we proceed to see the various favorite sites and attractions of the area. With my living here the experience was not as a tourist but as a welcomed part of the community. I experienced the Heart of Boulder.

Of course, it started much like everyone else, by being captivated by its beauty and its history. And, I proceeded to see and learn as much as I could. This led me to the beginnings of Boulder through the eyes of Chief Niwot …


Chief Niwot or Left Hand(-ed) (c. 1825-1864)

was a tribal leader of the Southern Arapaho people and played an important part in the history of Colorado. Chief Niwot and his people lived along the Front Range often wintering in Boulder Valley, sit of the future Boulder, Colorado. Despite breaching the borders of Arapaho territory, early prospectors were welcomed by Niwot in Boulder Valley during the Colorado Gold Rush. Through Boulder County, many places pay tribute to Chief Niwot and the Arapaho tribe. Niwot, Co., Left Hand Canyon, Niwot Mountain, and Niwot Ridge are all named for him. Additionally, a main thoroughfare through Boulder is Arapahoe Avenue.

That was from the history books. But, to me, his true contribution to Boulder was from his vision of harmony with the white man. He held this commitment even up to the end of his life no matter what was happening around him.

This statue of Niwat stands by Boulder Creek, where he and his tribe stayed.

When I walked along Boulder Creek, where he and his tribe lived, I felt the sacredness of this land that was blessed by this beautiful being and his people.

In this sacred space, it came to me that Chief Niwot’s vision and commitment lived on and set the context for this beautiful heart-felt community of Boulder. In my own experience, arms were opened wide in welcoming me in so many ways.

Through those who assisted me in this awesome healing process…

[This is Brooke and Pamela at Sound Health]

Through those who opened their home and Heart to me …

[Elizabeth and Richard]

Through those who showed me the beauty of Boulder …

[Spencer]


[Richard]

Through those who welcomed me into their family …

[Jenna, Kelly & Emily]

And, through those that I met along the way that extended their generosity in many different ways.

It has been difficult to follow the Heart in this one and leave this beautiful community…this Heart Sanga. But, I now realize that when I left last December on this journey, it was to meet the global community of the Heart. This particular community in Boulder is just a facet of it and so I see now that I am to move on and meet up with this Heart Sanga in its entirety.

Chief Niwot gave a blessing to those living in Boulder. He said, “People seeing the beauty of this valley will want to stay, and their staying will be the undoing of the beauty.

I understood the first part of this right away but not that last part until now, in writing this to you. What came to me; in the staying and holding onto what I have here, I will undo the beauty of what has been experienced and project my experience on something out there. It now goes with me wherever I am as a sacred aspect in me, one that confirms that Love and Harmony is our true nature and is at the Heart of this universe. And, confirms further that my home is where the Heart is. This is what lives on eternally no matter what the appearances.

A deep gratitude and a huge hug wraps around this lovely community as it goes with me and contributes something very precious to the remainder of my journey wherever it takes me from here. I love you all from the bottom of my Heart.



4 comments:

  1. When the Buddha came to a deep river, he built a sturdy, fine raft that would withstand the river's swift current. After crossing, he carried the precious raft on his back. When the ground no longer smelled of water, he realized he needed the raft no more. So he burned it in gratitude for its part in his journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the ebb and flow ...so the wave called Elizabeth goes, knowing all the while the ocean sustains body, mind, and Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, Thank you so much for sharing about this highly spiritual place called Boulder. Niwot was/is one of the Elders I have been working with as a child.....it is also the reason why I choose to move here from California. Jesse

    ReplyDelete